Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ancient prenatal science - brakhot 60a

I'm fascinated to see the Gemara discuss with such conviction not only how fetuses are conceived but also which stages of the pregnancy occur at which month among the nine. With the exception of what causes the fetus to be male or female, it seems that many of their conclusions, which relied on simple observation and deduction, were not too far off compared to our more advanced conclusions today as a result of genetics and advanced science. Makes me wonder about the field of science: how many of our convictions now about our world, which are based on allegedly strong scientific data, will be debunked in the future? How little do we actually know about what we believe we know? I imagine scientists laughing at us in 1500 years, much like I did when I read the gemara's theories of male/female determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment