Wednesday, September 5, 2012

3 Quotes from Brakhot 34


"Our Rabbis taught: There are three things of which one may easily have too much  while a little is good, namely, yeast, salt, and refusal." 34a

"R. Jacob said in the name of R. Hisda: If one prays on behalf of his fellow, he need not mention his name, since it says: Heal her now, O God, I beseech Thee', and he did not mention the name of Miriam." 34a

"Our Rabbis taught: Once the son of R. Gamaliel fell ill. He sent two scholars to R. Hanina b. Dosa to ask him to pray for him. When he saw them he went up to an upper chamber and prayed for him. When he came down he said to them: Go, the fever has left him; They said to him: Are you a prophet? He replied: I am neither a prophet nor the son of a prophet, but I learnt this from experience. If my prayer is fluent in my mouth, I know that it is accepted: but if not, I know that he it rejected." 34b

No comments:

Post a Comment