Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Right to Complain - Pesachim 3b

Two disciples sat before Rav. One said, 'This discussion has made us like an exhausted 'other thing' (i.e. a pig)' while the other said, 'This discussion has made us like an exhausted goat'; and Rav would not speak to the former.
-Pesachim 3b

It's been a long time since I posted anything here, and I must confess that the primary reason is that I didn't make it through Eiruvin, and just decided to pick up again with Pesachim. I've been rather extraordinarily busy but Daf Yomi is exciting and fun, and I missed it.

So let's see how we do.

I loved this teaching from Pesachim, on the subject of speaking with 'clean' language, but what I loved about it in particular, is that complaining is not the problem. It's fine that Rav's students complain that the discussion has left them exhausted - but not all complaining is healthy, and some types of complaints, those inappropriate to the setting, can exclude you from the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment